Monday, November 12, 2007

About industrial piercings and why I got one.........

An industrial piercing, sometimes called scaffold piercing (UK) or construction piercing, is any two pierced holes connected with a single straight piece of jewelry (compare to orbital piercing); however, it typically refers to a double perforation of the upper ear cartilage specifically. Two piercings are made, one fairly close to the head (anti-helix piercing), the second further down the cartilage, on the opposite side of the ear (helix piercing). A straight barbell is inserted through the first piercing from behind the ear, travels diagonally across the front of the upper cartilage, then goes through the second piercing, and is secured with a screw-on bead behind the second hole.
The piercings themselves are made with a medium gauge hollow piercing needle, and the barbell jewelry is worn during the healing period. Sometimes, a pair of captive bead rings (CBRs) are used instead, and are exchanged for a barbell after healing is complete. Although the use of CBRs often results in faster healing, proper alignment of the piercings is difficult when this technique is used. It can be pierced with a flexible plastic tube and swapped for the metal bar when its healed. Healing typically takes between three months to one year.
Proper care for this piercing during the healing process includes cleaning it with a Q-tip or cotton balls and saline solution. Twisting or sliding of the bar is required so the bar inserted does not grow skin around it.
Two or more of this type of piercing located on the same ear is typically referred to as an ear cage.






This is a closeup photo of my industrial

piercing after one week of healing. I have to

keep the barbell pushed in at the top of my

ear so hair does not wrap around it and cause

problems. That is why more of the barbell

is protruding at the bottom. A couple of days ago,

I did have hair wrapped around it and it was not

a pretty sight! Some of the hair had actually worked

its way INTO the hole of the piercing.

I went back to my piercer and she

removed the screw-on bead, got the hair out, and

cleaned it up. She suggested I use Sea Salt in

addition to cleaning it with antibacterial soap.

I disolve a teaspoon of Sea Salt in hot water and

use soaked cotton balls to squeeze the solution

over the entire area. It feels so good and speeds

healing!

Now.....the answer to the question that so many

people have asked me, "WHY??"

I have two tattoos...one on each outside ankle.

Each tattoo has a very significant meaning and I was

compelled by my soul to get them.

It was the same way with the industrial piercing.

It represents a recent decision I made in my life that

will continue to influence my future in a very positive

way.

1 comment:

Marisa said...

thanks for the advise. im going to get one but im scared. that info helped alot, thanks